Keeping your Manassas home cozy can eat up a big chunk of change. The average household spends about $172 on monthly utility costs, according to ENERGY STAR®, or approximately $2,060 annually. At least half of that is for heating and cooling.
Many houses have programmable thermostats, but the majority of people don’t take the trouble to program them. The process is time-consuming, complicated and only offers you a few options for temperature settings. When your house stays at an identical temperature throughout the day, it wastes utilities and badly impacts your monthly expenses.
Smart thermostats learn from your schedule and adjust the settings to match it. But can installing one really save you money on heating and cooling? Yes, and here’s why.
Studies Show Smart Thermostats Decrease on Utility Expenses
Independent studies show these devices can lead to major savings.
These studies used home energy expenses in 41 states before and after adding a Nest smart thermostat. Nest said the study showed its thermostats can save up to 12% on heating and 15% on cooling, producing an approximated savings of $131 to $145 annually.
With the common smart thermostat priced between $100–$250, those savings can help it pay for itself. And the majority of local energy companies offer rebates for smart thermostats because they’re ENERGY STAR® certified.
How Does a Smart Thermostat Work?
After your smart thermostat is put in, you’ll initially set it just like any other thermostat. You’ll turn it up and down, so the thermostat can figure out your preferences. Then, it will start creating a program that helps you conserve more money, whether you’re at home or away. Since it geofences with your smartphone, you won’t have to remember to adjust it when you exit or return.
Pros and Cons of Getting a Smart Thermostat
As we covered before, smart thermostats give many benefits to your residence and energy expenses, such as:
- No need to set—Your smart thermostat will learn your routine, so you don’t have to spend time adjusting programs or remember to change.
- Knows when you come and take off—Because a lot of smart thermostats geofence with your phone, your house will be put into an energy-efficient setting when you leave and be comfortable when you arrive.
- Remote temperature management—You’ll be able to keep an eye on your house’s settings from nearly anywhere, thanks to an app on your phone.
- Monitor heating and cooling use—The majority of smart thermostats provide valuable data through their app, like how long you needed heating and cooling on a specific day.
- Reminders—Select smart thermostats will alert you to essential maintenance tasks, including when you need to put in a new air filter.
- Added savings—Many local energy companies provide rebates for smart thermostats, so contact with yours for more info.
However, there’s a few areas you should consider regarding adding a smart thermostat in your home:
- Compatibility—Subject to the type and age of your heating and cooling system, a smart thermostat might not function with it. If you’re not sure, it’s advisable to check with an HVAC professional like Woody's Sudden Service Inc. We also recommend having it professionally installed. This ensures that you have the correct number of wires and that it’s linked correctly. Some systems don’t come with a common wire, which results in compatibility troubles with a smart thermostat. This wire powers your thermostat, so if your house doesn’t have a C-wire, we can add one.
- Housing situation—If you own your house and plan to be there for many years, it’s a smart investment to have a smart thermostat. If you’re thinking about moving shortly or rent, we recommend waiting unless you will take the thermostat with you. If you rent, you’ll often need to have your landlord’s permission first ahead of putting in a new thermostat.
- Cost—Smart thermostats are pricier than programmable thermostats, and we suggest having yours professionally installed. However, the energy savings over the years can help pay for itself.
- Lifestyle—Does a family member work from home, or is someone regularly at the house? If so, you might not see as large of savings, but you’ll enjoy the convenience of not needing to program or adjust a thermostat.
Rely on Woody's Sudden Service Inc for Your Smart Thermostat Needs
At Woody's Sudden Service Inc, our main goal is to keep your home pleasant while helping you conserve more utility bills. If you’re considering installing a smart thermostat, our pros can help, from selecting the ideal model to expert installation. Give us a call at 703-278-2036 today to learn more.