With adequate maintenance, your air conditioner can work for 15 years or more. But even the best maintained air conditioner will need to be replaced down the road.
When you’re starting to plan for air conditioning installation in Manassas, we are aware that cost is at the top of your list of questions. The good news is that installing a new air conditioner might be more reasonable than you realize, thanks to rebates, our special offers and financing for qualified customers. You’ll also receive improved energy efficiency, which will typically pay off over its life span through lower electricity bills.
Here’s what to prepare for when you’re replacing your air conditioner.
When to Replace Your Air Conditioner
Knowing when to repair or replace your air conditioner may be difficult. Here’s what our professionals advise.
- Your air conditioner is past 10 years old. While some may last longer, the majority of air conditioners last for around 15 years with annual maintenance. We advise planning for air conditioning replacement around the 10-year mark. Even if you replace it when it’s only a decade old, the U.S. Department of Energy says this change could save you 20-40% on cooling bills.
- You’ve avoided routine maintenance for many years. Just like a car, you cooling system has to have routine air conditioning maintenance. Not doing this important service can cause reduced efficiency, more recurring repairs and even a shorter life span.
- Your air conditioner has to have frequent or costly repairs. Needing air conditioning repair is often the outcome of overlooking service. But as your air conditioner gets older, it’s more likely to have a big breakdown. When repairs are higher than half the cost of a new air conditioner, you should get a new one.
- Your home is uncomfortable. If your home feels too humid or you’re dealing with hot and cold spots in certain spaces, your air conditioner might be having difficulty keeping up. This is a sign you need to replace it.
- Your utility bills are expensive. Your air conditioner gets less efficient as it becomes older. As a consequence, it could need to run more repeatedly or longer to keep your home at your desired temperature. Newer air conditioners have the latest energy-efficient technology to keep your home comfy and utility expenses down.
- Your air conditioner has R-22 refrigerant. If your air conditioner was purchased before 2010, there’s a good chance it has Freon. Also referred to as R-22, this refrigerant is no longer being produced as a result of its damaging effects on the environment. You can keep using your air conditioner, but if it were to develop a refrigerant leak, solving that would be extraordinarly expensive. This is because R-22 is only available in limited, recycled amounts.
- Your air conditioner is less than 10 years old. If your air conditioner is newer, it’s ideal to repair it.
- Repairs aren’t common or economical. The smartest way to avoid unexpected repairs is to have regular work done. But when repairs are only needed every so often or are reasonable, repair your air conditioner.
- Your air conditioner has a valid warranty. Most air conditioners come with a 5- to 10-year limited warranty that usually covers the compressor. Your exact warranty length is determined by your manufacturer, but it gives valuable protection in the event of a huge failure. If your air conditioner is protected by warranty, we advise fixing it.
Air Conditioner Cost
The majority of homeowners spend around $4,631 on a new air conditioner, based on national averages compiled by HomeGuide. Air conditioner cost averages often range from $3,350 to $5,912, but your total cost may be lower or higher.
There are several aspects that affect your total cost, including:
- The air conditioner model you install, as more energy-efficient ones are higher priced.
- The size your home needs.
- If you need to install new ductwork, which can be needed if your ductwork is aging or damaged.
We give free estimates at Woody's Sudden Service Inc so you can be confident you’re getting a good deal. And with our wide range of air conditioners, there’s an energy-efficient model that fits just about any budget.
Air Conditioner Size
Air conditioner size is crucial. A system that’s too little will struggle to keep your residence cool. And one that’s oversized could turn on and off too frequently, or short cycle. This action can increase your cooling bill and wear your air conditioner out prematurely. This could also create temperature variability and make your house feel less comfy.
At Woody's Sudden Service Inc, our professionals have many years of experience in properly sizing and installing the right air conditioner for your house. The ideal size depends on how spacious your house is, in addition to several other things. Some of the most common sizes include:
- 2 ton, which cools up to 1,000 square feet
- 3 ton, which cools up to 1,600 square feet
- 4 ton, which cools up to 1,900 square feet
- 5 ton, which cools more than 2,000 square feet
Other factors that can affect air conditioner size are:
- The weather in Manassas
- Ductwork quality and age
- How many windows you have and the style, as expansive or picture windows may be lower efficiency
- If your residence gets more sun or shade
- Insulation quality and depth
- How many people live in your home
Your air conditioner’s efficiency is tied to its SEER, or Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating. This ranking measures how proficiently it consumes electricity to create cooling. The bigger the number, the more efficient the air conditioner is.
When you’re installing a new air conditioner, it’s important to know:
- Older air conditioners are rated around 8-9 SEER.
- Modern air conditioners start at 13 SEER. Ones installed in the southwest and southeast must be at least 14 SEER due to U.S. Department of Energy regulations. As of 2017, these SEER rating requirements have saved homeowners trillions of dollars.
- ENERGY STAR®-certified air conditioners begin at 14.5 SEER.
- Higher SEER-rated air conditioners include more features to help you save more. These features may involve variable-speed cooling. Instead of operating at 100% continuously, these air conditioners can reduce blower speeds adjusted for your cooling preferences. This creates quieter and more energy-efficient cooling. While an air conditioner with a greater SEER rating is typically more expensive, it could be eligible for more rebates. And the energy savings over its lifetime might help it pay for itself.
Start Your Air Conditioning Installation with Woody's Sudden Service Inc Now
When you’re preparing for air conditioning replacement, the company who hooks it up is just as essential as the model you go with. Woody's Sudden Service Inc is one of the top names for air conditioning installation in Manassas. From helping you find the ideal solution for your residence to going over financing options to professional installation, working with our professionals is a breeze. Reach us at 703-278-2036 to get started today!