Spring is in the air here in Manassas and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re planning what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The Woody's Sudden Service Inc team has some helpful advice that will help keep your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are a low cost way to make your home appear as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to sync up with your typical schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater peace of mind than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to say not to share photos of your fabulous sabbatical on social media, but try to wait until after you return to post anything about your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as excited about the fantastic things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An easy way to cut back on energy while you’re away is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will save you energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re out of town there’s no need to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some painless tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about safeguarding your home this season or want to review additional energy saving tips, give Woody's Sudden Service Inc in Manassas a call at 703-278-2036.