Summer weather in Manassas can be rough. But you don’t have to choose between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility expenses. We’ve put together some tips to help you out.
The top thing you can do to stay comfortable and maintain energy efficiency is by maintaining your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® recommends keeping your system operating reliably and efficiently, and Woody's Sudden Service Inc is able to assist. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll do the following tasks noted by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to make sure there’s safe operation of your system and the possibility of a longer life for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as needed. Dirty coils require your system to operate longer to do its job.
- Check system controls to ensure proper and safe operation.
- Inspect refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to be sure of correct system airflow.
Another crucial piece to remaining cool is regularly looking at your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter could boost energy costs and damage your equipment, leading to untimely failure. Our Woody's Sudden Service Inc experts will inspect these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to take a look at the manufacturer’s recommendations to arrange your own schedule to switch them out.
Here are a handul of other tips to keep your home comfy and energy-efficient:
- Inspect thermostat settings to ensure your air conditioner keeps you comfy when you are home and saves energy while you are gone.
- If you find yourself cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let the crisp air cool your place for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to hold on to the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Use fans to your advantage. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a little higher than you routinely would without feeling any changes in your comfort level.
- Another type of fan people seem to forget about when they’re attempting to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Make sure to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to remove the heat and humidity from your bathroom.
- Avoid leaving lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven add heat into your home, but even everyday activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can up the heat in your home.
If you’d like additional ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give Woody's Sudden Service Inc at call at 703-278-2036 or request an appointment with us online.