Whether you like winter or favor the warmer months in Manassas, most of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a large impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Look at the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your space warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it must be replaced. We recommend at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can set temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. The team at Woody's Sudden Service Inc can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Woody's Sudden Service Inc in Manassas a call to begin. You can reach us at 703-278-2036 or arrange an appointment with us online.