Whenever your gas furnace is running, carbon monoxide is being created. However, there is no reason to worry. It is a natural by-product of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is operating properly, it is harmlessly deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is kept inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely pushed through the flue vent to the outside. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a product of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Breathing in too much carbon monoxide blocks the body from using oxygen and can hurt the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can injure anyone exposed to the gas, it is notably risky for people with existing lung or heart diseases, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and sustain a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s almost impossible to know carbon monoxide is accumulating in your home. You may not be aware until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Install carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by professionals, you should have it looked at. The experts at Woody's Sudden Service Inc can make sure your blower motor is installed accurately and that they don’t see any flaws in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can accrue if there are problems in those territories.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Regular maintenance is the best action to take to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly maintenance appointment, our professionals will clean your system and inspect it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a decent idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally serviced as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A stoppage of airflow caused by a spoiled filter can cause carbon monoxide to escape your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to frequently check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s specifications.
5. Always depend on professionals to service your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be very dangerous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few safeguards. You’ll always have the experts at Woody's Sudden Service Inc in Manassas behind you to help, too. Give us a call at 703-278-2036 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.